- are used to kill pathogens, algae, algae/fungi spores, bacteria, viruses, etc. and to destroy organics such as bather waste, leaves, etc.
The most common chemicals used for sanitizing pools
- Chlorine - as Trichloro
- Chlorine - as Sodium Dichloro
- Both of the above react with water to form Hypochlorous Acid - the principal sanitizer
- Chlorine - as a liquid - Sodium Hypochlorite for Superchlorination or 'Shocking'
- Chlorine - as a powder - Calcium Hypochlorite for Superchlorination or 'Shocking'
- Chlorine - as Chlorine Gas
- Chlorine Stabilizer - Cyanuric Acid
- Chlorine - for achieving Break-point Chlorination
- Bromine - as Hypobromous Acid
- Bromine - 1-part Bromine
- Bromine - 2-part Bromine
- Lithium - Lithium Hypochlorite
- Chlorine 'byproducts' - Chloramines -more of a pollutant than a sanitizer but fortunately not difficult to deal with)
Each has their pros and cons, so please click on the link to read about each chemical
We supply all plant and equipment featured on this website. All our work is Guaranteed; Parts and Labour
For free and unbiased advice, a site visit or no-obligation Quotation*, please make initial enquiries by email. Tell us a little about your pool problem and include a daytime phone number. Thanks, we look forward to meeting you soon
Note: - Please contact our recommended pool professionals for supply and installation of all pool-related services: -
Andalusia and the Costa del Sol - Pool Safety Spain
*We only offer Quotations: - a fixed, agreed price that cannot, and will not, be increased. We do not give 'estimates', as an estimate offers the client no guarantee of final price
Share this website with other Pool Owners and Users, encourage them to read about Pool Safety, learn CPR and help them to save lives, time and money. Please help us to make every pool a safer place - by sharing this information we can cut the number of pool accidents and deaths. Please also see our Facebook page
Ken Walker - MyPoolGuru©